Artists in Residence at the African Music Archives (AMA) at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, June/July ‘23
Application Deadline: 22 January 2023
The AMA* is looking for two DJs, musicians, sound artists or artists from related fields. To apply, artists should be residents of an African country. We strongly encourage womxn to apply.
As artists in residence, you will have access to the AMA collection in physical and digital formats for the duration of your residence. Get familiar with the archive through our library system or by digging in the crates. Sample – Remix – get inspired. Prepare a creative DJ set or other type of musical performance using the collection and show us your results at the end of your residence in July, when we will organize a special closing event.
· Access to the AMA collection
· A workspace in the archives from 26 June – 23 July 2023
· Air fare (round-trip)
· Accommodation and a daily allowance for living costs (28€)
· 1000€ fee for each Artist in Residence
Send us (in English or German):
· A short CV
· An example of your previous artistic work (via link or mail attachment)
· A brief description of what you’re planning to do and in which ways you will interact with the archive material
*Established in 1991 the African Music Archive hosts a unique collection of records of modern African music of various formats (shellac and vinyl records, audio and video cassettes, CDs and DVDs). The archive currently holds around 15,000 sound recordings, some of which date back to the 1940s. Find out more about the AMA here: https://anthropologyofmusic.com/african-music-archives/
Ceditraa contact: Tom Simmert
Please send your applications to: email@example.com.